News Release Article from
Archived - CNSC invites comments on discussion paper DIS-15-02, Review of CNSC Documentation on the Security of Nuclear Material
September 21, 2015 – Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is asking the public to provide their comments on discussion paper DIS-15-02, Review of CNSC Documentation on the Security of Nuclear Material.
This discussion paper seeks feedback on G-208, Transportation Security Programs for Category I, II or III Nuclear Material, and G-274, Security Programs for Category I or II Nuclear Material or Certain Nuclear Facilities, from licensees, the Canadian public and other stakeholders. It also outlines proposed changes to the material in G-208 and G-274 and seeks comments on these suggested modifications. Both of these documents were published in 2003 and are due for a periodic regulatory review.
To review and comment on the document, visit the DIS-15-02 Web page. DIS-15-02 will be available for consultation for a 30-day period. Please submit your feedback by October 21, 2015.* Comments submitted, including names and affiliations, are intended to be made public.
All comments received during the consultation period will be reviewed and dispositioned. The CNSC will consider all feedback as it updates the material in these two documents and integrates it into the modernized REGDOC-2.12 Security series of its regulatory framework.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- G-208, Transportation Security Programs for Category I, II or III Nuclear Material
- published in 2003
- helps applicants for a CNSC licence to transport Category I, II or III nuclear material prepare and submit a written transportation security plan that meets the requirements of section 5 of the Nuclear Security Regulations
- G-274, Security Programs for Category I or II Nuclear Material or Certain Nuclear Facilities
- published in 2003
- helps applicants for a CNSC licence in respect to Category I or II nuclear material – other than a licence to transport – or a nuclear facility consisting of a nuclear reactor that may exceed 10 MW thermal power during normal operation, prepare and submit the security information to be included with the application, pursuant to the Nuclear Safety and Control Act
- G-208 and G-274 are due for a periodic regulatory review
- after an initial review of the documents, CNSC staff concluded that the guidance in both is still largely relevant, and that only minor changes would be needed to bring the documents up to current regulatory standards
* NOTE: The consultation period has been extended to November 21, 2015.
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Transport Health and Safety
- Date modified: