News Release Article from
Archived - Commemorating Prince George's Centennial
April 4, 2014 – Prince George, British Columbia – Department of Canadian Heritage
The Government of Canada will provide $335,000 through the Building Communities through Arts and Heritage program to support the refurbishment of the city’s Civic Plaza.
Bob Zimmer, Member of Parliament (Prince George–Peace River), announced the funding today on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover.
With this support, the City of Prince George will add a stage, public art, heritage elements and landscaping to the Civic Plaza.
- Prince George was incorporated in 1915 and will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2015.
- The Civic Plaza is used for community-based arts, recreation and celebratory activities.
- Through the addition of these new elements, community members and visitors will be able to explore the City’s origins and ongoing history.
“Our government is pleased to invest in commemorative projects that bring Canadians together and enrich life in our communities.”
– Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“This project is a great way to mark one hundred years for Prince George and will be an asset in the growing cultural landscape of northern British Columbia.”
– Bob Zimmer, Member of Parliament (Prince George–Peace River)
“The Civic Plaza Enhancement Project will increase the city’s capacity for arts, cultural programming, and community-related events. In the new plaza, residents will be able to enjoy artisan fairs, outdoor concerts and performances, or just come for a picnic. I would like to thank the Government of Canada for this important investment. Canada Games Plaza will be a great legacy from the 2015 Canada Winter Games, and just in time for Prince George's 100th Anniversary next year.”
– Shari Green, Mayor, City of Prince George
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Heritage Arts, Music, Literature
- Date modified: