News Release Article from
Archived - Investing in Saskatchewan's Music Scene and Encouraging Private Donations
Government of Canada provides funding for the Regina Symphony Orchestra
April 1, 2014 – Regina, Saskatchewan – Department of Canadian Heritage
Member of Parliament Ray Boughen, (Palliser), on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover, today announced that the Regina Symphony Orchestra is benefiting from a boost of $92,192 to its fundraising efforts through the South Saskatchewan Community Foundation.
The Government of Canada is providing this funding for the Foundation to manage and invest on behalf of the Regina Symphony Orchestra through the Endowment Incentives component of the Canada Cultural Investment Fund, which encourages Canadians to donate to professional arts organizations.
- The Regina Symphony Orchestra was established in 1908. With its centennial celebrations in 2008, it created the RSO Endowment Fund with the South Saskatchewan Community Foundation to ensure its future financial health.
- The Regina Symphony Orchestra presents several concerts throughout its 39‑week season. The current maestro is Victor Sawa, from Montréal.
- In 2008, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales accepted the invitation to become a royal patron of the Regina Symphony Orchestra, and, during the 2012 Royal Tour of Canada, the Orchestra performed for the Royal Couple.
- The South Saskatchewan Community Foundation serves over 300 communities, including 7 cities.
- Since 2006–07, the Endowment Incentives component has provided more than $132 million to various endowment funds in Canada, while the private sector has provided $185 million, for a total of over $317 million.
“Orchestras play an important role in Canada’s vibrant music scene. Through this investment, we are pleased to boost the Regina Symphony Orchestra’s endowment fund and encourage private donations for the benefit of the community and our economy.”
—Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“Thanks to the Regina Symphony Orchestra, people from Regina and visitors can discover and enjoy excellent classical music performed by world-class musicians. Our Government is proud to contribute to the success of this fantastic full-scale, professional orchestra.”
— Ray Boughen, Member of Parliament (Palliser)
“This funding will significantly contribute to the Regina Symphony Orchestra’s endowment fund at the South Saskatchewan Community Foundation and to the continued sustainability of this vital cultural organization in our community. We gratefully thank the Government of Canada for this funding.”
— Susanne Hamilton, Executive Director, South Saskatchewan Community Foundation
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Heritage Arts, Music, Literature
- Date modified: