News Release Article from
International Trade Minister highlights strong ties between Canada and Ukraine at Congress of Ukrainian Canadians
September 30, 2016 - Regina, Saskatchewan - Global Affairs Canada
Canada’s long-standing and unwavering commitment to the people of Ukraine was highlighted today as the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of International Trade, addressed the 25th Triennial Congress of Ukrainian Canadians in Regina, Saskatchewan.
The Minister, along with Stepan Kubiv, Ukraine’s First Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Economic Development and Trade, participated in a panel discussion on growing the business relationship between Canada and Ukraine in light of the recently signed Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement (CUFTA).
Earlier this year, the Minister signed CUFTA during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s first official visit to Ukraine. CUFTA is part of Canada’s continued commitment to supporting Ukraine’s efforts to build a stable, democratic and prosperous country. Both Canada and Ukraine are committed to the timely ratification and implementation of CUFTA so that Canadians and Ukrainians can take advantage of its benefits as soon as possible.
“Canada is determined to support the Ukrainian people as they work to build a more secure, stable and prosperous Ukraine. Our new free trade agreement will help create economic growth and more jobs for Ukrainians and Canadians, especially for the middle class and those working hard to join it.”
- Hon. Chrystia Freeland, P.C., M.P., Minister of International Trade
- Ukraine offers numerous opportunities for Canadian businesses and investors in areas such as information and communication technologies, agriculture, infrastructure and logistics, aerospace, defence and security, and energy.
- In 2015 bilateral trade between Canada and Ukraine totalled almost $278 million. Examples of Canadian products imported by Ukraine include pharmaceuticals, fish and seafood, and coking coal.
- Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement
- Canada Signs Landmark Free Trade Agreement with Ukraine
- Prime Minister Concludes Visit to Ukraine
Office of the Minister of International Trade
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Chrystia Freeland Global Affairs Canada Government and Politics
- Date modified: