News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Investment Encourages Business Growth, Supports Youth Employment and Tourism in Hearst and Surrounding Areas
January 19, 2015 – Hearst, Ontario – Industry Canada/FedNor
The Honourable Greg Rickford, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario (FedNor), announced today an investment to help support jobs, growth and prosperity in the Hearst region.
The investment of $1,901,464 will support youth employment as well as small business development and growth, and strengthen economic opportunities throughout the area. Organizations that will benefit from FedNor funding include the Nord-Aski Regional Economic Development Corporation, the Corporation of the Town of Hearst, the Hearst Economic Development Corporation, the Université de Hearst and Novo Peak Health Inc. (see attached information sheet).
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor's Northern Ontario Development and Community Futures programs, which support projects that promote sustainable community economic development, enhance business development and growth, and facilitate innovation throughout the region.
- Since 2006, through FedNor's Northern Ontario Development Program, the Harper Government has invested $329 million in support of more than 1,600 projects. These investments have supported more than 21,500 jobs throughout Northern Ontario.
- Since 2006, through FedNor's Community Futures Program, the Harper Government has invested $71 million in Northern Ontario's 24 Community Futures organizations. These investments have helped support more than 20,000 jobs through the CFDCs' lending and business counselling activities.
“Our Government is proud to work with community partners, such as Nord-Aski Regional Economic Development Corporation, to help small and medium-sized enterprises grow, succeed and create jobs right here in Northern Ontario. Today's announcement will strengthen the regional economy by helping entrepreneurs achieve their business goals, supporting community infrastructure and providing employment opportunities for recent post-secondary graduates.”- The Honourable Greg Rickford
Canada's Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario
“On behalf of the people and businesses in the Town of Hearst, I would like to thank the Government of Canada and FedNor for its ongoing commitment to strengthen and diversify the regional economy. These investments will help create jobs, growth and will support the long-term prosperity of our community for years to come.”- Roger Sigouin
Mayor, Town of Hearst
- Backgrounder: FedNor Investment Encourages Business Growth, Supports Youth and Strengthens Tourism in the Hearst region
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca and follow us on Twitter @FedNor.
Office of the Honourable Greg Rickford
705-255-6119 or 1-877-333-6673 Ext 304
Search for related information by keyword
FedNor Economic Action Plan
- Date modified: