News Release Article from
Archived - Coast Guard Vessel Repair Work Awarded in British Columbia
Government of Canada Awards Contract for Vessel Repair Work as Part of National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy
April 24, 2014 - Ottawa, Ontario
The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, and the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Public Works and Government Services, today announced that the Government of Canada has awarded a $965,000 contract to Finning (Canada) for the supply of equipment to be used in the Vessel Life Extension work to Canadian Coast Guard ships CCGS Dumit and CCGS Eckaloo.
These two vessels based in Hay River, Northwest Territories, provide Aid to Navigation services on the Mackenzie River. The work to be undertaken includes supplying the vessels with two new ship service generators and their associated switchboards and controls.
These contracts are being awarded as part of the $360M investment to extend the life of the Coast Guard fleet announced in February 2013. The National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy aims to support a vibrant Canadian shipbuilding industry by ensuring shipyards across the country that were not awarded the combat and non-combat projects can benefit from Canada’s significant ongoing maintenance requirements while ensuring the best value for Canadian taxpayers.
- As announced in Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government will extend the life of sixteen Coast Guard vessels and complete mid-life modernizations on an additional two existing hovercraft over the next 10 years.
- The Canadian Coast Guard is responsible for ensuring that its network of aids to navigation is reliable, accessible, safe and efficient for those navigating in its waters.
“I am proud to be part of a government that has shown unprecedented support for the Canadian Coast Guard to ensure the dedicated men and women have the resources they need to do their jobs keeping Canadian waterways safe.”
Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
“This contract for the Vessel Life Extension Program is yet another example of how the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy is creating jobs, helping grow the economy and revitalizing the shipbuilding industry all across the country.”
Diane Finley, Minister of Public Works and Government Services
- News Release: Harper Government Awards Contracts for Canadian Coast Guard Ships Dumit and Eckaloo Vessel Repairs
- Tender Notice: Buyandsell.gc.ca
- Harper Government to Extend the Life of the Coast Guard Fleet
- Canadian Coast Guard Fleet: Details on CCGS Dumit
- Canadian Coast Guard Fleet: Details on CCGS Eckaloo
- 30 -
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Transport Economics and Industry
- Date modified: