News Release Article from
Archived - Government of Canada Announces Appointment to Library and Archives Canada
Guy Berthiaume appointed as Librarian and Archivist of Canada
April 14, 2014 – Gatineau – Canadian Heritage
Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover today announced the appointment of Guy Berthiaume as Librarian and Archivist of Canada for a term of five years, effective June 23, 2014.
- Dr. Berthiaume has been President and Chief Executive Officer of the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec since 2009. Before this, he spent thirty years as a senior university administrator.
- He has published a number of articles and has served on the boards and committees of numerous organizations.
- A recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, Dr. Berthiaume holds a doctorate in history from the École pratique des hautes études and the Université de Paris VIII, a Master of Arts degree from the Université Laval in Québec City and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Library and Archives Canada is an innovative knowledge institution responsible for acquiring and preserving Canada’s documentary heritage in all its forms and for providing all Canadians with easy, one-stop access to the texts, photographs, and other documents that reflect their cultural, social, and political development.
“Having a person of Dr. Berthiaume’s calibre leading Library and Archives Canada will be a solid asset to the organization. His extensive experience in the management of large cultural organizations and his strong leadership are important qualifications for this position.”
—Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
- Read about Library and Archives Canada at
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Heritage Arts, Music, Literature
- Date modified: