News Release Article from
Archived - More Choice for Canadian Wireless Consumers
The result of the 700 MHz spectrum auction validates our government's goal of at least four wireless players in every region of the country and raised $5.27 billion in revenue
February 19, 2014 – Ottawa – Industry Canada
Consumers are the big winners following the conclusion of the 700 MHz spectrum auction. Industry Minister James Moore today announced that 97 licences have been awarded to 8 Canadian companies. A fourth wireless provider obtained spectrum in every region of the country, delivering on our government's commitment to encourage more competition in Canada's wireless industry. The total revenue generated from the 700 MHz auction is $5.27 billion, the highest return ever for a wireless auction in Canada.
Through this auction, our government sought to make spectrum available in a way that would result in more competition for Canadian consumers. The auction results achieved this goal. Companies that obtained licences for these high-quality wireless airwaves will be able to start deploying in mid-April to provide better service to their customers on the latest technologies.
- The outcome of the auction supports more choice for Canadians by enabling a fourth wireless player in every region of the country.
- All winning bidders, including Canada's largest wireless companies, have secured spectrum to deliver the next generation of wireless services to their customers.
- The auction revenue, $5.27 billion—the most ever for a wireless auction in Canada—will be reinvested in priorities that matter to Canadians.
- The auction rules contain strict rural deployment conditions, the first of their kind in Canada, so that Canadian consumers living in rural and remote areas benefit.
"Our wireless policy is designed to benefit Canadian consumers, first and foremost. With the result of this auction, our policy has achieved this goal. Canadians will soon benefit from a fourth wireless player in every region of the country having access to this high-quality spectrum to provide all Canadians with dependable, high-speed wireless services on the latest technologies. Canadians have been clear that they want more choice, lower prices and better service in our wireless industry. With this auction, Canadian consumers are the big winners. Our government will continue to deliver on our Speech from the Throne commitment to protect wireless consumers by pursuing policies that put the interests of Canadians first."– Industry Minister James Moore
- Speech – Announcement of 700 MHz Spectrum Auction Results
- Backgrounder – 700 MHz Spectrum Auction – Process and Results
- 700 MHz Auction Results – Questions and Answers
- Backgrounder – R&D Investment and Learning Plan Obligations
Follow us on Twitter: @IndustryCanada
Office of the Minister of Industry
Search for related information by keyword
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada Economic Action Plan
- Date modified: