News Release Article from
Archived - NEB releases new schedule for Trans Mountain Expansion hearing
September 24, 2015 - Calgary - National Energy Board
The National Energy Board (NEB) has implemented an excluded period for the review of the Trans Mountain Expansion Project (Project) beginning on September 17, 2015 and ending January 8, 2016, to acquire additional information related to the Project.
The NEB has a legislated time limit of 15 months from the date it determines an application is complete until issuing a decision or recommendation to Governor in Council. The term excluded period refers to the provision in the NEB Act that allows the NEB to exclude a period of time from its legislated 15-month time limit.
This announcement follows a decision by the Project hearing panel on August 21, 2015 to strike evidence from the hearing record [Filing A72283].
Trans Mountain must file replacement evidence by September 25, 2015. The remaining procedural steps and deadlines are outlined in the revised hearing schedule [Filing A72731].
- The NEB will now release its Recommendation Report by May 20, 2016. Prior to this excluded period, the report was scheduled to be released on January 26, 2016.
- This is the second excluded period for the Trans Mountain Expansion Project. The first excluded period was from July 11, 2014 to February 3, 2015 to allow Trans Mountain to file additional studies related to a new preferred corridor through Burnaby Mountain.
- The Trans Mountain Expansion Project is a proposal to expand the existing Trans Mountain pipeline system between Edmonton, AB and Burnaby, BC. It would include approximately 987 km of new pipeline, new and modified facilities, such as pump stations and tanks, and the reactivation of 193 km of existing pipeline. The Westridge Marine Terminal would also be expanded.
- Letter to Participants [Filing A72730]
- Revised Hearing Schedule-Procedural Direction 18 [Filing A72731]
- More information on the project is available on the NEB website at www.neb-one.gc.ca/TransMountainExpansion
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry with the safety of Canadians and protection of the environment as its top priority. Its purpose is to regulate pipelines, energy development and trade in the Canadian public interest. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca.
- 30 -
National Energy Board
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Search for related information by keyword
National Energy Board Economics and Industry
- Date modified: