News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Helps Apple Valley Foods Expand Capacity and Improve Competitiveness
March 19, 2014 – Kentville, Nova Scotia – Government of Canada
Federal investments totalling $2.5 million, announced today by MP Greg Kerr (West Nova), will support the purchase and installation of new production line equipment to increase automation, precision and packaging, improve quality control and enhance efficiency at Apple Valley Foods. This investment will allow the company, with sales in both Canada and the U.S., to double its production of frozen fruit pies and to buy more apples and berries from local growers, thereby boosting Annapolis Valley's agri-economy.
The repayable investments of $2 million from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's AgriProcessing Initiative (API) and $500,000 through the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency's (ACOA) Business Development Program has enabled Apple Valley Foods Inc. to purchase specialized equipment such as ovens and freezers to further automate its processes and reduce manual handling of ingredients.
- Apple Valley Food Inc. began business in 2000 and employs 160 full-time workers in the Kings County region.
- Funded through the Economic Action Plan's (EAP) Agricultural Flexibility Fund, the API is a five-year initiative of up to $50 million designed to enhance the competitiveness of the agri-processing sector in Canada.
- Through the EAP, the Government of Canada is helping farmers find new markets, adapt to current economic challenges and make their businesses more efficient and environmentally sustainable. For more information on Canada's Economic Action Plan, visit www.actionplan.gc.ca.
- ACOA's Business Development Program is designed to assist in setting up, expanding or modernizing small and medium-sized businesses.
"Agriculture is an important contributor to the rural economy of Nova Scotia. Our government is proud to support continued business growth and innovation, and our investment today in Apple Valley Foods supports that effort."- Greg Kerr, Member of Parliament for West Nova on behalf of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, and Rob Moore, Minister of State for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA).
"On behalf of Apple Valley Foods, I am very pleased to announce a significant investment in expanding and further modernizing our manufacturing operations in Kentville, Nova Scotia. This new investment by the Harlan family of Indiana and both the Government of Canada and the Province of Nova Scotia will enable the company to continue our growth within the North American market. We are very pleased to be located in the Annapolis Valley, and this investment today demonstrates our commitment."- Jeff Sarsfield, President, Apple Valley Foods Inc.
- Economic Action Plan (Government of Canada)
- AgriProcessing Initiative (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Search for related information by keyword
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Economics and Industry Agriculture
- Date modified: