News Release Article from
Canada supports peace process in Colombia and helps those affected by conflict
July 5, 2016 – Bogotá, Colombia - Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today demonstrated Canada’s ongoing commitment to peace and promoting the rights of the most vulnerable people during her first official visit to Colombia. In recognition of the historic signing of a permanent ceasefire on June 23, 2016, Minister Bibeau announced over $57 million for five initiatives that will support peace implementation and help Colombians that have been directly affected by the conflict, especially women and youth.
Along with a contribution to the Multi-Donor Trust Fund of the United Nations for Post-Conflict in Colombia, Minister Bibeau announced Canada’s funding for a set of strategic projects. In support of the Government of Colombia’s efforts, these projects will focus on humanitarian demining, child protection, education for children in conflict zones, and rural credit for farmers in conflict-affected regions.
Minister Bibeau made the announcement while on her first official visit to Latin America, accompanied by Rafael Pardo, Senior Presidential Advisor for Post-Conflict, and following a meeting with Colombia’s President Juan Manuel Santos. The Minister is also set to visit Canadian-funded development projects in various regions of the country which are bringing direct support to Colombian youth and women’s groups.
“Colombians can continue to count on Canada’s support in this new era of peace. The projects announced today will help Colombian women and youth by giving them the tools they need to be real agents of peace in their communities.”- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
- After 50 years of internal armed conflict, the Government of Colombia is making progress in its peace talks with armed guerrilla groups, including the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (also known as FARC).
- On June 23, 2016, a historic ceasefire agreement was signed between the Government of Colombia and FARC, marking a major milestone in progress toward a final peace accord.
- Every year, Canada provides over $40 million in international assistance to Colombia.
- Canada’s Peace, Security and Development Work in Colombia
- Canada-Colombia Relations
- Colombia: A country of focus for Canada’s international development efforts
- Minister Bibeau visits Colombia
Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaDev
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international development - Global Affairs Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Marie-Claude Bibeau Global Affairs Canada Government and Politics
- Date modified: