News Release Article from
New federal support for innovative software to modernize aircraft
Edgewater Computer Systems receives $2.7 million through the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative
May 30, 2016 – Ottawa – Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Edgewater Computer Systems Inc. will receive a repayable government contribution of $2.7 million to develop technology that will modernize and extend the life of military computing systems on aircraft. The announcement was made today by Karen McCrimmon, Member of Parliament for Kanata–Carleton, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
The technology—an advanced data networking system—will be implemented without requiring a complete rewiring of the aircraft. It will also increase the data capacity of many of these computing systems a hundredfold. The company expects to grow its operations as a result of opportunities stemming from this project.
The investment is being made through the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI), which supports companies in leading-edge research and development to help improve competitiveness and promote collaboration.
"Our government is pleased to support research and development that helps Canadian companies innovate and thrive. Edgewater's work will provide militaries with solutions to modernize the tools they need to do their jobs safely and effectively. Edgewater is a testament to the incredible innovative capacity that exists within Canadian industry."– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"This contribution will help ensure innovative companies like Edgewater will continue to drive growth in Ottawa's technology sector. Through programs like SADI, we are helping Canadian companies invest in critical R&D and expand their horizons."– Karen McCrimmon, Member of Parliament for Kanata–Carleton
"Edgewater is very pleased to have been awarded a contribution through the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative. This contribution, along with support from the Industrial Technologies Office of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, further demonstrates this government's strong commitment to small and medium-sized businesses in the military, aerospace and defence industry."– Duane L. Anderson, President, Edgewater Computer Systems Inc.
- SADI investments enhance the competitiveness of the Canadian aerospace and defence sector and enable Canadian companies to accelerate innovation and collaborate with post-secondary and research institutions.
- Founded in 1988, Edgewater Computer Systems Inc. has established itself as a leader in wireless and wired multi-channel networking technology and computing products for commercial, industrial and military applications.
- The project aims to overcome the limitations of the existing, low-speed networks on board aircraft. Some of these networks date back to the 1970s.
- In 2014, the aerospace sector contributed more than $29 billion in GDP to the economy. It generated $27.7 billion in direct revenues and supported more than 172,000 jobs.
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada's Industrial Technologies Office
- Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative
- Edgewater Computer Systems Inc.
Follow Minister Bains on social media.
Office of the Minister of Innovation,
Science and Economic Development
Innovation, Science and
Economic Development Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada Economics and Industry
- Date modified: