News Release Article from
Archived - Celebrating Film and Media Excellence in British Columbia
Member of Parliament Wai Young announces funding for the Cinevolution Media Arts Society
July 17, 2014 – Richmond, British Columbia – Department of Canadian Heritage
The Government of Canada has provided the Cinevolution Media Arts Society with $12,500 in funding through the Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage program in support of the 4th edition of Your Kontinent: Film and Media Arts Festival.
Activities at the Festival include media workshops, film screenings, dance performances, and a showcase featuring the work of local artists.
Wai Young, Member of Parliament (Vancouver South), announced this support today on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
- This year’s Your Kontinent Festival will take place over 10 days, from July 17 to 26, at the Richmond Cultural Centre.
- The Festival, established in 2007, takes its name from Urkontinent, a term created by German scientist and geophysicist Alfred Wegener. The concept describes a supercontinent consisting of all of the Earth's land masses and connecting peoples, ethnicities, and cultures.
- The Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage program provides Canadians with more opportunities to take part in activities that present local arts and culture and celebrate local history and heritage.
“Our Government is pleased to support local festivals like the Your Kontinent: Film and Media Arts Festival that provide residents and visitors with opportunities to see their community, their country, and their own ‘continent’ through fresh eyes.”
—The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
“I applaud the efforts of the Cinevolution Media Arts Society to bring people together to experience film, media, and art in dynamic and innovative ways. I look forward to taking in some of the many activities over the next 10 days.”
—Wai Young, Member of Parliament (Vancouver South)
“Cinevolution Media Arts Society is delighted to receive support from the Government of Canada. This funding will allow us to continue fostering intercultural understanding in our community through innovative film and media arts, while providing local artists with opportunities to showcase their work at the Your Kontinent: Film and Media Arts Festival. Thank you, Canadian Heritage!”
—Yun-Jou Chang, Managing Director, Cinevolution Media Arts Society
- Your Kontinent: Film and Media Arts Festival
- Cinevolution Media Arts Society
- Richmond Cultural Centre
- Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
A/Regional Communications Manager
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Heritage Arts, Music, Literature
- Date modified: