News Release Article from
Archived - Historical Day | War and the Plains
The National Battlefields Commission invites the public to its traditional “Historical Day”—this year on the theme of War and the Plains—on Sunday, September 7 from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Join us in and around the Plains of Abraham’s Martello Tower 1 to delve into the legendary park’s military past and learn about the central role it played in various conflicts. Soldiers, officers, and workers from Quebec City’s war industries will all be there to talk about their contributions to these historic events. Soak up the atmosphere with historical stations, artifacts, a model maker, and other activities to the beat of the drums and the roar of cannons, musket, and rifle fire of historical reenactments. A free blend of fun and history for all ages!
- Step back through the ages and demystify the wars of 1759–1760, 1812, and the two World Wars alongside reenactors representing the Canonniers-Bombardiers, Voltigeurs, Régiment de Béarn, and Royal 22e Régiment. Learn about their uniforms, their historic role, and their response to such aspects of the war effort as conscription, rationing, and prison. There are also demonstrations and explanations of period cannon loading, musket and rifle firing, and arms drill.
- Watch out for a beggar who’s trying to escape Québec’s harsh wartime winter of 1759—by getting herself thrown in jail. You might also cross paths with the manager of the Ross Rifle Factory trying to recruit new employees, or a worker from the Arsenal seeking signatures on a petition for better pay. Work at the factory is hard and dangerous.
- Meet the model maker at Martello Tower 1 and find out how historical battlefield models are built. There are also 400 hand-painted figurines to see.
- Children will love the introduction to archaeology at an excavation square, where two archaeologists will be on hand to answer all their questions.
- Information: 418-649-6157, firstname.lastname@example.org
Outreach and Media Relations Officer, Communications Division
The National Battlefields Commission
Search for related information by keyword
National Battlefields Commission Society and Culture
- Date modified: