News Release Article from
Archived - Opening of the Student Masterworks exhibition at the Plains of Abraham Museum - 7th edition
To kick off the 7th edition of the Student Masterworks exhibition, The National Battlefields Commission joined project organizers Christian and Jean-Pierre Lagueux this afternoon in welcoming local press to the Plains of Abraham Museum in the presence of François Blais, Minister of Education, Higher Education and Research and Minister responsible for Recreation and Sport. The exhibition, which features new reproductions of historical objects from New France (1500s–1700s), has once again dazzled visitors with the calibre of the student works!
- Student Masterworks is an exhibition of reproductions crafted by primary and secondary students from four Beauce-Etchemin and Capitale school board schools, as well as one private school, Collège Dina-Bélanger. Of the 500+ students who participated in the project, 190 had their work selected for the exhibition, on this summer at the Plains of Abraham Museum.
- The new collection’s 150+ reproductions of historical objects from New France took students several thousand hours in all. Five teachers guided them along the way: Christian Lagueux and Denis Rodrigue of Polyvalente de Saint-Georges in Saint-Georges; Jean-Pierre Lagueux of Polyvalente Bélanger in Saint-Martin; Chantale Fortin of École St-Fidèle in Québec; and Isabelle Lambert of Collège Dina-Bélanger in Saint-Michel. The reproductions include flags, maps, portraits, drawings, furniture, clothes, wampum, and catalogne.
- The National Battlefields Commission applauds the hard work of the teachers and students who took part in this ambitious project. May the Plains of Abraham Museum host many more editions in partnership with the Beauce-Etchemin school board, which has been organizing this educational activity for 15 years!
- The 2009 edition of Student Masterworks won the Canadian Museums Association’s prestigious Museums and Schools Partnership Award.
- The exhibition is free and runs daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Plains of Abraham Museum until September 7, 2015.
Outreach and Media Officer
The National Battlefields Commission
Search for related information by keyword
National Battlefields Commission Information and Communications Education and Training Arts, Music, Literature
- Date modified: