News Release Article from
New funding opportunities will advance gender equality to mark Canada's 150th anniversary
Minister of Status of Women invites organizations to identify and engage women leaders
October 27, 2016 – OTTAWA, ON – Status of Women Canada
The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women, today invited organizations to apply for Government of Canada funding to advance gender equality across Canada. This announcement follows the decision in July 2016 to restore the eligibility of advocacy activities for funding within projects supported by the Women’s Program at Status of Women Canada.
Through this call for proposals, organizations will receive funding to identify women leaders in various sectors, organizations, and communities, and engage them in local projects to advance gender equality. The call aims to identify and engage a total of 150 women leaders from across the country, to mark the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017.
In addition to working on local projects, these women leaders and their sponsor organizations will take part in a pan-Canadian network of key women leaders, which would support collaborative feminist action to advance gender equality in Canada. This is a unique opportunity for women leaders and women’s organizations across Canada to work together simultaneously at the local and the national levels to advance equality between women and men.
- The Women’s Program at Status of Women Canada supports eligible organizations to carry out projects to advance equality by addressing systemic barriers.
- Organizations can apply for Funding to Advance Gender Equality in Canada by visiting women.gc.ca and submitting an application by December 8, 2016.
- Proposed projects must address systemic barriers to gender equality in any of the following three areas of focus: increasing women’s economic security and prosperity, encouraging women’s leadership and democratic participation, and/or ending violence against women and girls.
“The Government of Canada is committed to gender equality and believes that building relationships between stakeholders and decision-makers will help us reach that shared goal. By providing financial support for women leaders, advocates and feminist organizations, we can make real progress toward equality and leave a lasting legacy for future generations.”The Honourable Patty Hajdu, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Status of Women
- Information on Funding to Advance Gender Equality in Canada
- Is the Women’s Program the Right Fit for Me?
- Call for Proposals Application Guide
- General Eligibility Requirements for Women’s Program Funding
- Guidelines for Eligible Expenses
- Status of Women Canada – Women’s Program
Office of the Minister of Status of Women
Director General, Communications and Public Affairs
Status of Women Canada
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
Follow us on Twitter: @Women_Canada
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaSWC
We are now on Facebook! Connect with us by visiting Women in Canada and get all the latest news on Government of Canada initiatives, activities and information related to women in Canada. Like our page and invite your friends to join the conversation: facebook.com/womencanada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Patricia A. Hajdu Status of Women Canada Persons
- Date modified: