News Release Article from
National Defence concludes public consultations as part of Defence Policy Review
August 2, 2016 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan today announced the conclusion of public consultations on the future of Canada’s defence policy, the largest such efforts in over 20 years.
The Department of National Defence (DND) launched these public consultations on April 6, 2016 to seek feedback from interested Canadians, international allies, and key stakeholders on the type of military Canada needs in order to represent Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Discussions focused on:
- the main challenges to Canada’s security
- the role of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in addressing current threats and challenges
- the resources and capabilities needed to carry out the CAF mandate
DND has received approximately 20,200 submissions to the Defence Policy Review online consultation portal and over 4,700 participants have contributed comments and votes using the online discussion forum.
Moving forward, important choices will be made to ensure that DND and the CAF have what they need to confront new threats and challenges in the years ahead. Over the coming months, DND will be compiling and reviewing the information received from online submissions, stakeholder roundtables and discussions with Parliamentarians and key international Allies and partners. This will help inform the development of Canada’s new defence policy to be launched in early 2017.
“I want to thank Canadians, Parliamentarians, experts, academics, key international Allies and partners who contributed to this important discussion about the future of Canada’s defence policy. I am confident that the information gathered over the last four months will help inform a new defence policy that balance priorities, responds to emerging challenges, and invests in the Canadian Armed Forces.”
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan
- Backgrounder: Canada Concludes Public Consultations as Part of Defence Policy Review
- Minister Sajjan Launches Public Consultations on Defence Policy Review
- Backgrounder: Canada Launches Public Consultations on Defence Policy Review
- Defence consultation portal
- #DefenceConsults / #Consultationsdefense
- @NationalDefence @DefenseCanada
Office of the Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Harjit Singh Sajjan National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces Military
- Date modified: